This is just a short posting to make certain that our loyal readers don't forget about us. Things are happening here and there.
Here:
Fifi planted some pretty petunias today. She knows she is taking a risk because Memphis' last day for a possible freeze is, believe it or not, April 15. But I couldn't wait. Here's why:

Yesterday, my beloved little girl budgie, Sissy, died. She is the little yellow gal in the photos. She was having a great time and had just laid 2 eggs. I guess it was too much for her. Bubba and I will miss her. We don't know how old she was, as she was "rescued". Bubba seems to be looking for her, flying back and forth all day long. I think he will be fine in time. I buried her today under a patch of pretty pink petunias. She had a problem flying and was quite timid - until she met Juanita on our Florida trip. By the time the trip was over, she was flying several times a day and actually flew onto Juanita's shoulder. That was the absolute first time she had ever gone to someone, even Fifi. So I think Juanita helped her enjoy her short life even more since our trip.
But all is not sadness here in Memphis. The Spring flowers are beginning to sprout and bloom, the weather is warmer, and the days are longer. In Juanita's territory, I believe Spring is in full force.
There:
From what I hear, things in Florida are going well. The carpeting is in at Juanita's house. She and the Duke will be entertaining several guests in the next month, and,
It's Strawberry time in Gainesville. Every time she looks at the following photos, Fifi's mouth gets to watering. How do they GROW them so big? And - Juanita hand picked these humongous, savory morsels. Gosh, you could make them into garages and park your cars in these things, they're so big. I also hear they are quite sweet and tasty
BTW - Fifi might share her carpet laying experience, as she purchased some to lay in the bathroom Piano Man style. Only difference is, she doesn't have a helper.Hmmmm
Now, in case you all don't know, Fifi likes to go bird watching. So she has decided to take a little trip south in April to a spot where migrating birds stop over after they cross the Gulf of Mexico on their way to their breeding grounds in North America - Dauphin Island, Alabama. http://www.dauphinisland.org/camp.htm You can probably guess that the blog will be continuing for sure during that time. There might even be other guests at that time, though nothing is for sure yet. Stay tuned, more to come.
I will be posting more information about preparation for my next trip, which might, or might not be, the Dauphin Island trip. Rumors abound that there might be one in between.
8 comments:
Sissy was lucky to be with you and Bubba. When we saved her and you took her in, her life changed drastically.
Before, she was neglected and alone. After, she was loved and had two friends. It took them a little time to bond, but they seemed so happy.
With her recent flying adventures - you just told us about them in the last few days - and her eggs!!, she went out in style. Too bad the eggs can't be incubated.
I bet those petunias will soon sport a tinge of yellow.
BTW, new posts at greeneviewsprings.blogspot.com after lots of progress, rain and changes to the plan.
So sorry Feef to hear about Sissy parting. She was beautiful and so delicate looking sitting there next to Big Bubba. Very sad that budgies don't live as long as we do. I was very glad to hear the stories of J'ita befriending Sissy, although it would never surprise me....Dr. Doolitle's female counterpart....always the animal whisperer. She always provided comforting therapy to my pets during her visits.
Dauphine Island trip sounds wonderful. But then again, Memphis sounds wonderful to me too, even with the May mud...
I just happened to check this blog Sat. morning after a long reprieve and was delighted to see a new post (and new travel plans in the making). This is one reader who hasn't given up following the post. CARRY ON.
We have no idea how old Sissy was when we "rescued" her. But I know her life after she came to you was richer by far than it was prior to that. Thank you for giving her a new life.
No chance of planting petunias here yet. It was 33 degrees at 10AM today, so I'm guessing it froze last night. Lots of rain and flooding here the past week. Glad it wasn't snow or it would have been a real blizzard!
I've been to Dauphin Island twice, once on vacation and once for a Sierra Club meeting. It is a great place. When I was hiking there at dusk in February, a great northern owl flew less than 6 feet over my head. The wooshing of his wings was awe-inspiring. I'm envious of your planned trip and will sure watch the postings!
Again, I am soooo sorry about sweet Sissy. But, what a wonderful life she had with you. She's seen more of the good ole USA than most humans!
Petunias? I wish. Instead, this a.m.,more snow here in the Pokee-nose! There was a serious blanket on the ground earlier, but it is gone now and it's a balmy 39 degrees outside.
Speaking of bird-watching (and you were...): In an effort to tempt you to bring S Cargo up here, I have to mention that there is a very cool place near here(20 mins., tops) called Hawk Mountain. Check it out at www.hawkmountain.org
Oh Fifi,
I was so sorry to hear of the death of your beloved Sissy.
You both were lucky to have found each other.
I know you will miss her.
Cathy's Kathy
I, like others, was saddened to hear of Sissy's passing. These little animal friends can certainly get under your skin, can't they? I'm excited for you as you plan your trip to Bama. Of course, I grew up not far from there and am familiar with those parts. It will be a wonderful trip. Wouldn't it be nice if I were up there at my place on Blackwater Bay at the same time? Hmmmm. . .I wonder if that could be worked out. I am actually going up there next week. I am hosting my sister's 87th birthday party at my place so I have to get things ready. . . painting, new carpet, etc. I then have to be back there for a class reunion which is on April 26th. . .then, my sister's party May 24th. How do these dates match up with yours? Yes, the weather here is getting pretty nice, 'tho it's kinda cool today. . .62 when I rode out at eight o'clock this morning. Well, I'll be awaiting your travel schedule with baited breath.
Dear Piano Man (and animal lover),
Fifi's trip is planned for April 17-20 to the park on Dauphin Island. She might stay longer if she is enjoying the birding. This is the time when the little birdies are coming across the Gulf, so she doesn't want to miss it. Are there lots of birds at Blackwater Bay too?
Seriously, Piano Man....."kinda cool?" At 62 at 8 a.m.? Gimme a break and come north with me----I'll show ya cool! :-)
Post a Comment